Pre & Post Instructions
Monterey Bay Laser Aesthetics PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Pre & Post-Treatment Instructions
PRP Treatment is frequently performed in combination with dermal filler treatment, RF microneedling, microneedling and hair restoration. These instructions pertain only to PRP treatment. If you are receiving combination therapy, please adhere to Pre and Post Instructions for all procedures to ensure optimal outcomes.
Prior to Treatment?
- Avoid aspirin and blood thinning supplements (Ginko biloba, vitamin E, etc.) for 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- Avoid anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Aleve and Celebrex for 1 week prior to the procedure.
- Avoid alcohol consumption for 2 days.
- Notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners.
- For discomfort, you may take tramadol (Ultram) 50 mg 1 tablet or an alternative 1 hour prior to your procedure.
- The treatment area must be free of any cold sores, lesions, rashes, infections, active acne and sunburn or procedure may be rescheduled (notify MBLA at (831) 475-1077 if you have these conditions or develop any other health changes prior to the date of your procedure to avoid incurring scheduling fees).
- Review all instructions and skin care products in person 1 week prior to procedure with a MBLA Patient Coordinator.
On the Day of Treatment
- Eat a solid meal within 2 hours of your appointment, and drink plenty of water.
- Take medications if indicated (e.g., for prevention of herpes or for pain 1 hour before procedure) as prescribed.
- Remove all makeup.
- Clean the treatment area with alcohol.
- If using topical anesthesia, apply a thin layer of topical benzocaine, lidocaine, tetracaine ointment (BLT) to cleanly washed treatment area as directed 30 minutes prior to the procedure (this time frame is optimal for reducing discomfort during the treatment). A staff member at MBLA will remove the BLT during your appointment.
- If wearing contact lenses, make sure you remove them prior to the procedure.
- Avoid touching or scrubbing at any injection or infusion site for 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not massage the treated areas and avoid activities that can cause flushing for 24 hours after treatment or as instructed by provider including: consuming alcohol, exercising, extensive sun or heat exposure, using hot tub or sauna.
- Avoid taking blood thinning products (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) for 2-3 days, Tylenol may be taken if needed for discomfort.
- Redness and swelling after treatment is common. Apply wrapped ice pack for fifteen minutes every 1 – 2 hours the day of treatment and a few days after if needed. Oral antihistamine such as cetirizine (Zyrtec) 10mg 1 tablet in the day time and/or diphenhydramine (Benadryl) 25mg 1 tablet at night will help reduce swelling.
- Apply the recommended post-procedure skin care products as directed.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact Monterey Bay Laser Aesthetics at (831) 475-1077. If problems arise after hours, please go to your nearest urgent care facility.